Duration: 8 months
Cairo Studios - Commercial CAT A
CGA successfully completed the external and internal CAT A commercial refurbishment to five floors of a former Victorian warehouse in Shoreditch. The building has been home to the production team of the popular 1980s and 1990s satirical puppet show, “Spitting Image” and Jamie Oliver’s Apprenticeship Training School for his restaurant FIFTEEN in the basement which remained in occupation throughout the works.
The project aim was to provide bright, open plan commercial space whilst retaining the buildings original features and character such as floor boards, hoists and windows. Works were undertaken to the ground floor and first to fourth floors, approximately 1096m2 in total. We maintained a separate entrance and exit to the basement for access in order to minimise disruption.
CGA completed the following works;
- New fagerhault lighting, sub mains, low level power, fire alarm system, door entry system, fire curtains etc.
- Installation of new AC system throughout, extraction systems to the WC’s.
the installation of reclaimed timber flooring throughout to return the design to that of the original flooring,
- removal of existing apex glass roof lights to the roof and first floor rear light well
- installation of new steel work and timber frame to take new glass roof lights
- removal of the existing lift and installation of new lift
- restoration of existing artwork to the faience
- new crittall windows installed to the rear elevation
The new glass roof light panels presented a challenge due to the restricted location of the building and the nature of the surrounding buildings including neighbouring residential properties and a Police Station to the rear of the building. The CGA team had to establish a plan to lift all glass into position at roof level and to install the rear lightwell at the first floor. The panels were a considerable size (660kg each) and a crane was required to lift these into place. We managed to achieve this in one day in order to minimise disruption.